2023 SPIE Family Care Grant
SPIE believes that individuals with significant caregiving responsibilities should have an equal opportunity to share their research and participate in conferences and symposia.
SPIE Family Care Grants are designed to supplement caregiving costs incurred by SPIE members who are registered to attend an SPIE meeting. The maximum grant amount for in-person meetings is $500, and grants are offered on a first-come, first-served basis based on funding availability.
- The deadline to apply for a grant is three weeks prior to the specific event start date. For exact dates, please refer to the table on our website.
- Families are eligible for one grant per SPIE Member per year.
- Eligible applications are approved on a first-come, first-served basis based on funding availability. If the number of grant requests exceeds funding availability, preference will be given to applicants in the early stages of their careers, or who have not received recent SPIE support.
- Applicants receive notification of their status no later than one week prior to the event start date.
- Applicant must have a current SPIE Membership through the month of the meeting.
- Applicant must be registered for the conference to be considered (excludes free exhibit-only registrations).
- Applicant must be a primary caregiver of a dependent who will need child or dependent care in order for the applicant to attend the meeting.
Conditions of Grant:
- Funding is to be made via reimbursement with receipts after the conference.
- Eligible expenses for reimbursement are limited to airfare of a caregiver to attend the conference, or additional costs for hiring a caregiver at home while the recipient is away at a SPIE conference, or caregiving costs at the conference location for the duration of the event.
- Abuse of the grant will result in future ineligibility.
- Expenses for reimbursement are to be submitted within 30 days after the conference.
- Proof of purchase is required for all caregiving expense claims (includes airfare itinerary and caregiving billing).
- Reimbursements are made via bank wire.
To apply, please login using your SPIE username (email) and password by clicking the blue button above. If you have forgotten your account information, please open this link and click "Forgot Username" and/or "Forgot Password".